Friday, July 04, 2008

research: Mmm...mmm, good!


I have written over forty historical novels for middle grade readers. Research is an old friend, a good friend, and I employ all its tricks and tools to enrich my fantasy novels. Two great sources:

http://www.bookfinder.com/
which links thousands of small rare and used bookstores
(and a few large ones)

and
http://www.uidaho.edu/special-collections/Other.Repositories.html
The University of Idaho maintains a massive, worldwide list of primary source repositories. I have used it extensively; it's remarkable.
Primary sources are diaries, old newspapers, rent receipts from the 1800's, illuminated manuscripts for the 1200s, any kind of record left behind by real people. Fascinating!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, wow! I was so surprised to see your second mention, as I live right by UofI! Crazy. And cool. :) I never knew that.

kathleen duey said...

The world is weird and small...and everything really is connected. I visit Moscow ID now and then...


k

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, that is the coolest! Next time you visit, please email me...I would love to meet you.

And YES, it's 'coe', not 'cow'. :) I love the Palouse, too.

kathleen duey said...

Erin,

I will try to remember. Please forgive me if I don't. It's easy to get lost in space being a hermit and writing books--and then traveling for a week or so and meeting hundreds of people, then wham! back in writing/hermit mode...etc. etc...

The calendar on http://www.kathleenduey.com is usually up to date.