Wednesday, July 09, 2008

the trees, the trees, the trees....


Trees are everywhere in my world. Yours, too. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the Bodhi tree which shaded Buddah's enlightenment, the Christmas trees, my father's fruit orchards, my screwy Scotch-Irish family tree, the silk oaks, pindo palms, beaucarneas ,and bananas outside my door. The pine trees I grew up with in Colorado and the pine forest where Sadima is hiding. I will be with her there all day, but first...
.
.
This is a baobab tree on Oahu, in a botanical garden. Lynne Wikoff was kind enough to provide contrast in scale. It was amazing to just stand there and look up. This is a smallish Baobab. This is a big one, in Africa, their home. I have a baby baobab. My son started it from seed. It's about six inches tall in a four inch pot. Amazing.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Interesting. Your post on trees has helped me today. I've been considering all kinds of trees, and now I think the Baobab may be just what I needed . . .

kathleen duey said...

Baobabs are amazing. The Latin is Adansonia Digitata. Google that, then hit "images" to get professional, clear, botanical-study kinds of photos.
The flowers and seed pods are beautiful and strange, too.