Wednesday, January 07, 2009


I cleaned a corner of my office yesterday and came across the National Book Award finalist medal that was given to me (such an amazing gift) in 2007. I am not sure I can explain what it meant to me. More than anything, the gift was a feeling that I really am a writer--that I really can write pretty well.
I finished Sacred Scars today--the copyedits, I mean, I am now free. It is the second book in a trilogy. Perhaps these characters will hush for a while, now, and I can think about other projects.

This picture was taken at one of the NBA award events--an auditorium in the New School in NYC, full of YA kids from all over the city.

Sarah Zarr and I are talking beneath the radar of the tall people all around us...left to right: Brian Selznick, me, Sherman Alexie, Sara Zarr, Sindy Felin




9 comments:

Nikki Carson (Katie) said...

Dear Kathleen,

Someday, my dream is not only to publish one book, but to get a special honor for it. I appreciate all your hard writing that you do, to create pleasure while reading your novels.

Sincerely,

Katie

kathleen duey said...

It's good to be ambitious, I think. And you have a huge advantage, knowing what you want to do at ten.

One thing to practice: Notice things. Small and large. When you see something interesting, write a description of it that comes as close as you can to recreating it for the reader.

Nikki Carson (Katie) said...

Dear Kathleen,

Thanks greatly for the advice!

Sincerely,

Katie

C.R. Evers said...

Wow! Now that is an all-star line up! Great picture!

kathleen duey said...

Christy, Hi!!

It is an illustrious group. I felt like they had made a mistake and someone would come up and whisper, "They addressed the enevelope wrong, Harold got the wrong phone number, too, and we are really, *really* sorry, but you have to give the medal back now..."

Unknown said...

This is a lovely blog. I came here via Mike's writing workshop, and am so glad I did.

Hope you don't mind if I follow your blog.

Best wishes,
Damyanti

kathleen duey said...

Damyanti, welcome!!!

Your blog is wonderful. You write great craft essays, insightful,clear and useful...
I love the way writers help writers.


kathleen

Sarah said...

I just finished Skin Hunger and love the characters and the ingenious complementary story lines. I've put it on my list of books for my children to read when they are older. Thank you!

kathleen duey said...

Sarah,

I can't think of anything anyone could say about my books that would mean more to me.

thank you.

k